Monday 12 January 2015

The single founder problem continued

An update from my previous post "The single founder problem"

One year in and I am still a single founder of GeoInteractive. But in saying that my support network and community has grown. I now have 2 business mentors, 1 technical advisor and 2 sub-contractors helping me to succeed.

Being a resident company at the University of Wollongong's iAccelerate Start I was lucky enough to have a one-on-one meeting with Tim Ellis. Tim is the CEO of Cadence Venture Partners and use to be the CEO of the Accelerator Center at Waterloo Canada. One of the things that I asked Tim was "how does one suceed in business being a single founder?" Tim explained to me that he himself has never began a business venture being a single founder. He said that he was usually the second or third founder into a business and never the first. He reassured me that he new of quite a few successful single founders and that one should surround themselves with a good support network. Tim brought up the idea of creating an "Official Advisory board" for my company. This excited me as I was already getting people on board to help me out and provide advice.

So for this update I suggest you approach people that you may have met that are succeeding in business or their profession and ask if they would be interested in becoming part of the advisory board for your business. I have to say I have already used the wisdom and experience of the people on my board and without it I would of been in a pickle.  So in saying that I would like thank the people that have helped me in the first year of business. I couldn't of done it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment